Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Decision Was Made

I am surprised Lilly's first word was not "Viaduct"! Yes- it is probably the most common word that I say from 8 am -5 pm every day. If you are not from Seattle or if you are from Seattle just not in touch with any news, the Alaskan Way Viaduct is a major highway that flows through downtown Seattle along the waterfront. I have been working on this project for over two years, but it has monopolized "our" lives ever since I went back from maternity leave in August - long days, night meetings, politics, and much much more. But, this week a decision was made- a Deep Bored Tunnel with replace the crumbling structure.

Even though it is the most expensive option and we are in a recession, the Governor, King County Executive, and Mayor think that is ok. Me- I have mixed feelings, but I am glad that after 8 plus years of deliberating they made a decision. And, you know who is most excited ChrisO. We just had to document this for Lilly to see later in her life as she looks back on this blog.

You can see this historic freeway in this picture. So you may not think this is a milestone for Lilly, but we just want to document that Lilly will be able to read before this structure is replaced. This was only the decision - there is a long path to go.

No comments: